The Best 55+ Communities in the DMV
You’re entering your 50’s and looking forward to settling down for your senior years. It’s common to begin considering 55+/retirement/senior living communities. The perception of these types of communities varies, sometimes negatively, as people tend to be unsure about making such a big lifestyle change. Others are hesitant to downsize their current home and transition to something completely new. Speaking of – we created a comprehensive Rightsizing Guide that touches on these concerns and how to decide what’s best for you. You can find it HERE!
However, 55+ communities come with plenty of positive aspects that outweigh most concerns. They offer great amenities and benefits to help you relax and enjoy the golden years of your life. They’re usually more affordable than typical living arrangements, and they offer the chance to live in a community with other seniors; providing a great social experience so that you don’t feel alone.
There are several different types of senior living communities, each with varying levels of home styles, resident independence, and amenities. It’s important to assess your own health, preferences, and needs when choosing a 55+ community. Many offer assisted living & rehabilitation services, while others only offer independent living. Determining which criteria you fit will help you narrow down your search.
Like any other home search, it’s also important to consider what home style is the best fit for you, whether it’s a single-family home, condominium, apartment, patio home, or town-home. Some 55+ communities only offer certain home styles, while others might offer a variety.
Are you thinking about transitioning to a 55+ community but unsure where to start your search? We’ve got you covered. There are an abundance of these communities in Northern Virginia, DC, and Maryland. Check out our list below! We’d love to help you with your search – let us know if you have any questions.
Northern Virginia Communities
The Crest of Alexandria – Alexandria
- The Crest of Alexandria offers a variety of living arrangements including condominiums, elevator town homes, and single-family homes so that you can choose a home style that works for you.
- The community is rustic and beautiful, featuring gardens, ponds, a scenic overlook, a koi pond, and paths & trails throughout the area.
- There are an abundance of amenities to enjoy including a yoga lawn, outdoor kitchen, and central clubhouse for social and wellness activities.
- Homes range from $399,000-$833,000.
Wallhaven at Kingstowne – Alexandria
- This 55+ community consists of 32 townhouses divided into eight building with four townhouses each. These three-level townhouses are available in two customizable models with 2-bedroom or 3-bedroom options, private elevators, and 2-car garages.
- Amenities include two outdoor pools, two fitness centers, a community garden, three tennis courts, and more!
- Homes range from $600,000-$700,000.
Four Seasons at Ashburn Village – Ashburn
- Four Seasons at Ashburn Village consists of 80 privately-owned condominiums and is located in Loudoun County, often referred to as “D.C.’s Wine Country” and featuring over 23 wineries.
- Amenities include a 3,500 square-foot clubhouse, indoor and outdoor pools, sauna and steam rooms, tennis courts, softball and baseball fields, soccer fields, and even a marina and pier! There are also a variety of walking and biking trails spread throughout the 500 acres of open outdoor space.
- Home range from the high $200s – Mid $300s.
Birchwood at Brambleton – Ashburn
- This award-winning community [link to gold award] features 4 different home styles and is one of the most popular choices for new homes in Ashburn.
- The main clubhouse includes indoor & outdoor pools, bars, theater & game rooms, a health and wellness center, an art studio, a golf simulator, many social gathering spaces, pickle-ball & bocce courts, a fishing pier with catch and release fishing, and much more!
- The beautiful outdoor space features biking and walking trails, a greenhouse and garden area, picnic and lawn areas, and nature stations.
- Homes range from the upper $300s – $600s.
Potomac Green – Ashburn
- Located in Loudoun County just 30 miles from DC, Potomac Green is renowned for its quaint villages, nearby wineries, and beautiful horse country. It’s ideal for travelers, located only 10 miles from Dulles Airport.
- Amenities include a 29,000 square foot clubhouse/rec center that features a fitness center, indoor and outdoor pools, an indoor track, tennis courts, bocce ball courts, gardens, and a plethora of walking and jogging trails.
- Homes range from the high $300s – low $600s.
Regency at Ashburn – Ashburn
- Regency at Ashburn is a luxury gated community in a prime location near popular shopping and dining areas. The community is still expanding, so home-buyers can select a new construction home that fits their style and size requirements. There are three home models between 1,659 and 1,981 square feet to choose from.
- Once completed, the main clubhouse will feature a fitness center & aerobic room, an outdoor pool, game & meeting rooms, and more. An outdoor pool, walking and biking trails, and pavilions are planned for construction.
- Homes range from the high $300s – mid $700s.
Lansdowne Woods of VA – Lansdowne
- This gorgeous community overlooks the Blue Ridge Mountains & Potomac River and is extremely popular due to the incredibly affordable price.
- The community features a gigantic 50,000 square foot clubhouse and its very own salon, bank, restaurant, and store! It even includes a fare-free shuttle bus that residents can take to travel around the nearby area.
- Homes range from $200,000-$500,000
Vistas at Lansdowne – Lansdowne
- Vistas at Lansdowne is a newer 55+ community located in the center of Loudoun County. The community is still under development, and home-buyers have the option to build a brand-new townhome ranging from 2,681 to 2,870 square feet. The townhomes are 3-bedroom + 2.5 bathroom, and include an attached 2-car garage.
- The community features a 50,000 square foot clubhouse facility with a vast lineup of amenities. There are social spaces, a 300-seat ballroom, auditorium, restaurant, and theater. It also includes a fitness center with an aerobic studio, indoor pool, and sauna. The surrounding area has miles of walking and biking trails as well as parks.
- Homes range from the the high $500s – mid $600s.
Liberty Grove – Manassas
- Liberty Grove is a quaint 55+ community offering a carefree way of life. The neighborhood holds only 61 units and is perfect for those looking to settle down somewhere quiet.
- This tree-filled community is low-maintenance, so residents can enjoy a laid back and carefree environment. The neighborhood features brick-paved sidewalks, a courtyard park in the center of the community, and tons of shaded benches. Rather than a large clubhouse, the community provides a social lobby area where residents can meet up with friends and family.
- Homes range from the high $100s to high $300s.
Saintsbury Plaza – Fairfax
- Saintsbury Plaza is another quaint and intimate community with just 111 condo units. That said, it boasts plenty of social amenities that allow residents to stay active and maintain a social lifestyle.
- The main community building contains a club room for activities, exercise room, card room, catering kitchen, and library. The neighborhood also offers plenty of outdoor space with patios and walking & biking trails.
- Homes range from the low $400s – mid $400s.
The Atrium at Metro West – Fairfax
- The Atrium at Metro West is a new, up-and coming 55+ community that just broke ground in 2019. The community consists of six-story condo buildings with elevators, and will feature open floor plans with luxury owner’s suites.
- Amenities include a central clubhouse, indoor swimming pool, fitness rooms for yoga & other activities, and beautiful outdoor green spaces with landscaped courtyards and walking trails.
- Homes range from the mid $400s – low $600s.
Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club – Gainesville
- Situated in Prince William County, just 30 miles from DC, Heritage Hunt is a luxury gated community that has been named the “Best Active Adult Community in the Country”.
- The community features tons of amenities (particularly for golfers)! There is an 18-hole pro golf course, three different clubhouses to socialize with neighbors and make friends, lighted tennis courts, full locker room facilities, indoor & outdoor swimming pools, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and several dozen clubs that residents can join including, wine tastings, dancing, shopping, and more.
- Homes range from $300,000-$600,000
Regency at Creekside – Gainesville
- Opened in 2016, Regency at Creekside is an upscale, gated community featuring brand new single-family homes ranging from 2,551 to 3,045 square feet. Every property has 3 bedrooms, including a first-level master suite!
- Residents can enjoy a variety of amenities including a 9,000 square foot in-house fitness center and clubhouse, indoor and outdoor pools, a tavern, and miles of walking/biking trails through the local forest.
- Homes range from $500,000-$700,000
Regency at Dominion Valley – Haymarket
- This is another luxury gated community offering attached and detached home styles.
- There are a variety of amenities and opportunities that residents can enjoy, including a pristine golf course with a massive 30,000 square foot clubhouse, a variety of clubs for a wide range of interests, an in-house fitness center, and even an outdoor pool.
- Homes range from $300,000-$700,000.
- This downtown D.C. community empowers residents to live life how they want, and is focused on care, fulfillment, and engagement. It offers many lifestyle options and is perfect for those seeking independent living, assisted living, memory care, or skilled nursing.
- Amenities are abundant and include a beauty/barber shop, fitness center, art center, main and private dining rooms, outdoor patio areas, spacious community rooms, rehabilitation gym, library, outdoor swimming pool, theater room, bistro, and much more!
- Located in the heart of DC, there’s never a lack of things to try or new experiences to share. The community’s activity program offers trips to local events and areas of interest including museums, dining, attractions, and shopping.
- Living spaces are apartment-styled and for rent, starting at $3,600/month.
- Seabury at Friendship Terrace is located in the beautiful Tenleytown area of DC, just steps away from local restaurants, shopping, and other attractions. In 2011, the community underwent a 5.2-million-dollar renovation to upgrade the living spaces. Each home features a kitchen, walk-in closet, large wheelchair accessible bathroom, and floor-to-ceiling windows that provide plenty of natural light.
- Amenities include a front desk concierge, daily activities & group outings, meals created by an in-house chef, package & laundry facilities, and more.
- Living spaces are apartment styles and for rent, starting in the $1,100s.
- Ingleside at Rock Creek is a premier 55+ community in DC that is home to an extraordinary community of residents who share a desire for elegant and secure retirement living. Offering independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care, this community helps residents feel comfortable as they move into the golden years of their lives.
- There are a variety of floor plans to choose from, whether you prefer a classic-style apartment or a larger, open concept style. Independent living residences are available in either one-bedroom or two-bedroom styles and come with full-sized kitchen and living spaces.
- The community recently opened ‘Creekside’, a brand-new mid-rise building addition to their ‘campus’, adding 105 new residences. The new building offers residences with full kitchens, expansive windows, washer & dryers, large closets, and underground parking.
- Amenities include:
- Weekly housekeeping
- Delicious dining options with flexible meal plans
- Year-round social, recreational, education, cultural, and spiritual events
- A fitness center with an indoor heated pool, wellness programs, and fitness classes
- Paid utilities and no real estate tax bill
- Scheduled transportation
- Health services center
- Onsite security and 24-hour emergency response systems
- A vibrant community center featuring a theater, library, game room, beauty and barber shop, and storage spaces.
- Pricing details are available through a private tour [link to site scheduling].
- Knollwood is a tight-knit community that’s home to men and women with a history of serving our nation. Admissions are reserved for retired officers from any of the seven branches of our armed forces & their families, high-level federal workers, post-9/11 service members, and foreign service members.
- The community offers independent living, assisted living, skilled care & rehab, and memory support living options.
- Amenities include a variety of fitness and wellness programs, a full-service bistro, free transportation services on and off-site, 24/7 reception staff & security, and much more!
- Homes range from $1,100-$6,800/month depending on floor plan & living option (independent living vs assisted/memory services.)
- Leisure World is a luxury gated community in the heart of Montgomery County. It provides maintenance-free, resort-style living to residents. Leisure World was ranked as the #1 “Best Value Active Adult Communities” [link to article] in 2018 by 55Places.com.
- Leisure World offers a wide selection of home types including condominiums, townhomes, patio homes, and single-family homes.
- Residents enjoy a variety of amenities including:
- Two clubhouses
- Three recently renovated restaurants
- Redesigned ballroom
- Indoor and outdoor pools
- Tennis courts
- Walking trails
- 18-hole championship golf course
- 5,400 square foot fitness facility
- More than 90 clubs and organizations
- Dozens of scheduled events, outings, and classes
- 24-hour security
- Healthcare services
- Maintenance and housekeeping
- Pricing varies by home type and whether you decide to buy or rent. Inquire for details, we’d be happy to help.
- Located in downtown Bethesda, MD, Brightview Woodmont boasts resort-style amenities and vibrant homes. The community is designed for individuals seeking assisted living and/or memory care.
- Featured Amenities include:
- Dramatic rooftop deck with Bethesda skyline views
- Lovely, welcoming foyer with Concierge
- Formal dining room
- Upscale pub
- Private dining room for special occasions
- Fitness center
- Beauty/barber shop
- 24-hour emergency call system.
- Living spaces come in studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom styles. Pricing details are available through request.
- Five Star Premier Residences is a full service, resort-style senior living community located in the coveted D.C. suburb of Chevy Chase, MD. The community offers both independent and assisted living options.
- Featured amenities include:
- Restaurant-style fine dining
- A cocktail lounge with full bar
- Over 300 social and recreational activities each month
- Newly renovated health club with an indoor pool and fitness center
- Computer center
- Full-service beauty salon and barber shop
- Library & art studio
- Scheduled trips and transportation
- 24-hour concierge service and doorman
- Complimentary underground parking
- Living spaces are apartment-style and come in 1-bedroom & 2-bedroom options. Pricing starts at $3,950/month for Independent Living, and $8,060/month for Assisted Living.
- Owned by the same management as Seabury at Friendship Terrace, The Springvale Terrace location offers independent living, assisted living, and enhanced personal care to meet the needs of every resident.
- Springvale Terrace provides five distinct care levels that residents can move between depending on their comfort, providing peace of mind for residents and their families.
- Featured amenities include:
- Wellness center
- On-site hair salon and barber shop
- Activity lounges
- Piano lounge
- Front desk concierge
- Meals created by an in-house chef
- Daily activities and schedule group outings
- Professionally landscaped gardens and beautiful outdoor courtyards
- Pricing and floor plan details available by request.
- Aspenwood Senior Living is a full-service, resort-style retirement community located in Silver Spring, MD. It offers independent and assisted living apartments as well as rehabilitation services, respite, and short stays.
- Amenities include restaurant-style dining, social and recreational activities, a large courtyard with putting green & shuffleboard court, outdoor walking paths, a salon and barber shop, transportation, housekeeping, and a library.
- Living spaces are apartment-style and come in 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom options. Pricing starts at $3,600/month for independent living, and $4,340/month for assisted living.
If you’re interested in a 55+ community, and need help with your search, contact us or give us a call! We’re here to help in any way we can.
The Stokes Group is a team of dedicated professionals who have passion for the real estate business and will advocate for our clients with the utmost honesty, integrity, and confidentiality. We believe in building solid relationships with our clients and that starts by getting to know who we are. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram.